INTERNATIONAL ForeStClim PHOTO Competition and Exhibition “Trees and humans in a changing climate”. Call for contributions.
Climate change and social developments place the natural environment under increasing pressure. Hence, we all should stand together to preserve the nature and to strengthen the stability of our environment – in North-West Europe, and in the whole world.
ForeStClim is an environmental project concerned with forests and climate change, and it is supported by the European Union.
Our contest is focused on the photographs that communicate the impacts of climate change on trees and forests on a global scale and on the effects that this has on people. We believe that photographs can touch people and instigate change more effectively than scientific reports or studies.
The competition is open to professional and amateur photographers from all continents.
Entries to the competition to be received by Tuesday 31st July.
We are looking for entries in four priorities.
1. Nature, forests, and living with forests in a changing climate
2. The suffering of trees and humans in a changing climate
3. Forests and water in a changing climate
4. Climate change observatories in ForeStClim forests.
Awards funded by ForeStClim offers will be made for the best three photographs in each priority
· 1st prize: 400 €
· 2nd prize: 150 €
· 3rd prize: 50 €
Each of the winners will get additionally a fine art print of the photo and certificate.
The 200 best photographs will be displayed in the international ForeStClim photographic exhibition, and a book with these 200 photographs will be produced. Editors will be the ForeStClim photo management team (Prof. Dr. Gebhard Schueler, Vũ Thị Bích Hồng, Dr. Steffen Schobel, Christophe Bidaud). All photographers whose photographs are selected for this exhibition will get an edition copy of this book.
The international ForeStClim photo exhibition will take place in the baroque palace in Trippstadt, Germany, within the heart of the “Pfaelzerwald”. Later it will travel to the international ForeStClim conference in Liverpool, England (UK), and then to the ForeStClim public training centres in Brittany, France. The exhibition will be opened in the second half of September.
Criteria for ranking the submitted photos will be (with evaluations between 1 = excellent and 5 = weak)
1. Illustration of the topic, content, the idea behind the photo, synergy of forests (trees), people, climate and water
2. Expressivity of the photo, creativity, effects of exposure to light, harmony / disharmony of the photo
3. Photo-optical skill, imaging technique (eg, colour photos: play of colours; black and white photos: contrast between black and white)
The ForeStClim photo management team has the right to reject photos which do not meet the necessary quality or illustrate one of the four priority areas, or in any case of breach of the contest rules.
Entry requirements and regulations:
§ The participation is free of any fees
§ The photos should be taken in the years 2010 to 2012
§ Each photographer can submit up to 5 photos for each priority
§ Staff members of ForestClim partners can only submit photos for the Photo Exhibition. They are excluded from the Photo Competition.
§ A post-processing of photos is allowed only to adjust the colour, the brightness and a cropping of photos.
§ Collages can be submitted, but they will be critically evaluated.
§ Photographers younger than 18 years old are asked to confirm an authority for participation (parents, teacher) with the registration form.
With each photograph we require
· Name of the Photo
· Priority (1 -4)
· A short story about the photo
· Place where the photo was taken
· Name of the photographer (in the case of portrayed models – name of the model) and a short portfolio
· Format: Jpg-File
· Exif Data (optional)
We ask you for photos with a resolution in two categories:
· Resolution: 8 megapixels
· Resolution: 4 megapixels ( photos which meet one of our topics in a special way will also be accepted in a minimal resolution of 2 megapixels)
You should send us your photos via www.wetransfer.com
to the email address: photo(at)forestclim(dot)eu
by using the registration form which is attached to this call.
You can only submit photos when you are the owner of the property rights.
If you take part in the Photographic Competition you agree to give us the right to use your photographs (with credits) for ForeStClim public relations to attract attention to the impacts of climate change on trees and people.
For the Photo Exhibition we need only minimum rights for the photo exhibition.
With your submission you declare
· that you are the owner of the property rights of the submitted photos
· that you dispense the ForeStClim photo management team from all copyright liabilities
· that we are allowed to show your photos during the international ForeStClim photo exhibitions
· that we are allowed to use your photos in a flyer promoting the ForeStClim photo exhibition
· that we are allowed to use your photos in a ForeStClim photo book.
The ForeStClim photo management team does not bear any liability relating to copyright when using the photographic files.